If there’s extra pressure on the veins or blood vessels, the blood will pool and the veins will bulge, a condition known as varicose veins or spider veins. This condition happens when the vein becomes weak, or doesn’t function properly.
The blood in the veins is blocked from flowing backwards by their one-way valves. However, if these valves fail in their work, the blood will start accumulating in the vein, instead of continuing toward the heart.
Legs are the most affected part in our body by these varicose veins.
The reason is because they are located furthest from the heart, so the blood is hardened flowing upward because of the gravity.
Several potential causes for varicose veins include:
- Hormone imbalance
Luckily, there are some completely natural remedies to treat your varicose veins effectively.
Top Foods for Treating Varicose Veins
The following foods can help you decrease the appearance of spider veins:
- blueberries. They offer flavonoids which provide additional strength to the veins.
- Vitamin E. Enhances circulation and helps prevent blood clots. Foods rich with this vitamin include green leafy vegetables, sunflower seeds, and almonds.
- Cayenne pepper. This plant is rich in capsaicin which enhances the circulation.
Foods that Cause Appearance of Varicose Veins
- Alcohol. It can cause dehydration and inflammation.
Top 5 Natural Remedies for Varicose Veins
1. Butcher’s broom– 200 mg a day of butcher’s broom can lower the inflammation in the veins.
2. Horse chestnut– 100 mg a day of horse chestnut can strengthen veins and lower swelling.
3. Vitamin E (400 IU daily)- 400 IU a day of this vitamin functions as a natural blood thinner.
4. Grape seed extract– 200 mg a day of grape seed extract can help strengthen the walls of the veins.
5. Bilberry (160 mg 2x daily)- Consuming 160 mg of bilberry twice a day, can improve circulation.
Extra Remedy– Apple cider vinegar and witch hazel combination, applied topically, can lower the appearance of spider veins.
Essential Oils for Varicose Veins
One of the most effective natural treatments for lowering the appearance of varicose veins is the cypress essential oil. Cypress can support the circulatory system and enhance circulation. Rub five drops of this essential oil on the affected area twice a day.