According to the Traditional Chinese Medicine, each food has specific properties that can affect the body in different ways. So, by consuming food which fits your needs, you will balance your body and improve its vital functions.
However, not all people are the same, so it is important to follow your bodily needs and pick the right food for you.
During the cold winter months, switch from the fresh summer food such as tomatoes, cucumbers, watermelon to some warming and nutritive foods such as warm drinks, soups, ginger, cinnamon and many others.
Ginger – A Powerful Spice
This is one of the most widely used spices in the Traditional Chinese Medicine. It is widely celebrated for its amazing ability to warm the body and balance the cold during winter time. It is especially useful for those who experience cold symptoms.
In the TCM, a cold pattern is a condition where some individuals are cold all the time while some other is in a T-shirt. These individuals feel some pain during the winter, especially in the knees and the lower back. Also, they may experience frequent urination and often have to wake up during the night in order to pee.
In addition, they may experience loose bowels, drippy nose and low level of energy. So, drinking dried ginger tea help them improve their health.
Additionally, ginger is beneficial for those people who suffer from a cold wind pattern. These individuals have chills but no fever, sneezing and running nose with a clear watery mucus.
Note: If you suffer from fever, thick yellow mucus and sore throat make sure you do not use ginger but peppermint.
When consumed in a raw form, ginger will provide most of its benefits. So, combine fresh sliced or grated ginger with hot water, lemon and raw honey to prevent the onset of a cold.
A ginger soup is an excellent way how to fight the wind-cold pattern.
Make sure you have fresh ginger, onions, astragalus and garlic throughout the winter.
Ginger Soup Which Fights the Common Cold
If you experience common cold followed by a clear runny nose, chills and no fever prepare this soup to fight these symptoms.
- 1-2-inch piece of thinly sliced ginger
- 4 medium sliced green onions
- 1-2 peeled and chopped garlic cloves
- 6 cups chicken bone broth or regular stock
If you are a vegetarian, see below for another option.
Method of preparation:
- Place onions, ginger, garlic and mushrooms (if you prefer) in a pot and add a small amount of broth.
- Simmer the mixture until all of the ingredients are softened.
- Add the rest of the stock and let it boil.
- Reduce the heat and cook for 20-30 minutes.
- Consume the soup throughout the day and you will feel much better.
Also, you can store this soup for a few days. You can add some other vegetables, but make sure you do not add too much salt.
- Some fresh or dried mushrooms will boost your Qi.
- About 4-5 pieces of Astragalus can improve your immune system and energy.
Organic Chicken Bone Broth
- Simmer organic chicken bones for 24 hours and add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- For 1 pound of bones, you need 12 cups of water in order to cover all the bones.
- When it has simmered, skim off the oil and fat on the surface, strain and then store it in a glass jar.
- Save the rest of the vegetables and store them in the fridge for further use.
A Medicine in a Cup
Along the strong and warming taste, fresh ginger will successfully treat the common cold. It will improve the digestive system and treat upset stomach, nausea and appetite.
The strong antibacterial properties of garlic will boost the immune system. It is widely celebrated in the TCM because it removes toxicity, swellings, carcinogens and strengthen the digestive system.
This potent herb will help you remove the symptoms of common cold. You can consume green onion in a raw or cooked form. It will enrich the food flavor and it is a perfect combination with ginger.
This is a powerful herb that is easily found on the local Chinese market. It is characterized by sweet and warm properties that can boost your immune system. It especially works on the lung and digestive systems because it has great Qi boosting properties.